Axis 4. of the Indology Department /
- To prepare an exhaustive historical study of the Buddhist sites.
- To make photo documentation of all the sites.
Materials and methods:
- The sites were studied with reference to the classical literature, inscriptions and archaeological reports.
- The photo documentation of the sites was done through field visits and by preparing a series of maps to geographically locate all the Buddhist sites of Tamil Nadu.
External team members:
– Dr. R. Vijayalakshmy, participant
– N. Venkatesan, participant
This project has documented the Buddhist Sites and Monuments of Tamil Nadu in addition to the detailed analysis of the Classical Tamil Literature associated with Buddhism. The Final scientific report was submitted to CICT. This work will provide opportunities for future research by means of a possible website.